Thursday 14 January 2010

My project

I work as a volunteer with the partnership project at a book shop for DAPP (Development Aid from People to People). DAPP has been working with social projects since 1995 and today there are 5 different projects in Malawi: Teacher Training College, Vocational School, Farmers Club, Total Control of the Epidemic and DAPP Second Hand. I'm in DAPP Second Hand Project that is a partnership project to raise money for all the other projects in Malawi. DAPP Second Hand Project has two ways to raise fund. One is the Book Shop that I work and the other way to raise fund is the Clothes and Shoes Shops. The Book Shop sells second hand books from UK and USA that are collected from containers located in some cities in these countries. The books came to Africa by ship and are delivered in Malawi.
The Book Shop that I work is located in Blantyre in a place named Trade Fair. It's a nice book shop with so many kinds of books that are organized in different subjects: novels, romantic novels, junior novels, children, education, cookery, health, religious, assorted. You can find all kind of books since a Harry Potter or university book till mystic books like witch's handbook.


There are more three people working there: James,the manager, Atupele and the other James. They are hard work people and always are in a good mood. I've never seen they complain about their work. They have been very friendly to me since I started to work there.
The main activities I've been doing in my project until now involved many things: organizing the books, taking care of the display, improving the shop, making promotional posters and leaflets, delivering books in the DAPP clothes and shoes shops, and going to primary and secondary schools to make book fair. This week I've started a new activity. I've been arranging a donation of almost 4,000 books to the Malawian prison. On Tuesday, I went to the prison to talk to the prison manager.




This picture shows the book fair at KaphuKa Private School. I went there last Saturday. It's a secondary private school with about 300 students. The African children really likes to buy books... I think more than in Brazil. Maybe because they don't have many other choices of leisure or the books are the only way to run away from their hard day by day in Africa.






2 comments:

  1. I like your book shop! there have nice people. Specially James! He always say hello to me with nice smile :) I'm very happy to see you enjoy working in book shop. I can sure you will manage your job very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá Mauricio, vi agora o teu blog e gostei imenso do teu projecto. Continua com boa energia e criatividade. beijinho

    ReplyDelete