Friday 8 January 2010

My house for 6 months

I've been living in Blantyre since November. Blantyre is the largest town in Malawi with about 600,000 people. This picture is from my house! It looks like bigger in the picture than its real size. It has just the living room, 3 bedrooms, kitchen and toilet. That big window you can see is from the living room and my room is the other window on the right. When I arrived my first time here and I saw that house I thought it looks like a small farm's house with no gates in front of it, ground floor all around it, some bushes and two huge eucalyptus trees in front of the house. It's doesn't have so much comfort as I was used to have in Brazil but it has things that before come to Africa I was afraid to don't have, like electricity, running water, stove, fridge, TV and DVD. The most comfort that I miss is a shower. In the begin I took shower with a bucket. But now I took shower with the help of a hose. It's much better!

There are more two people living in that house: Danielle and Mi-Hong. Danielle is from England and Mi-Hong from South Korea. They work in a different project from the project that I work. In my project I work at a Book Shop and they work at Clothes and Shoes Shops. Later I'll tell more about my project.




This is the back of my house. There is a nice vegetable garden that I've been working since I arrived. I planted some vegetables like peas, carrot, spring onion, chili, tomatoes, okra (quiabo, in Portuguese) and basil. There are also two avocado trees, one peach tree, one papaya tree and one blackberry tree (amoreira, in Portuguese – It's not the same blackberry bushes that we can easily find in UK). I really like to spend my time taking care of the vegetable garden. It's one of my hobbies.
















2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Mauricio! What a nice blog :) The picture from our house is really cool. I will keep visit to your blog. see you :)

    ReplyDelete