Friday 19 February 2010

Holidays: Mount Mulanje, Lake Malawi and safaris

I had two weeks of holidays in Malawi in the end of last year. I visited some places that I found exotic beauties by its unique landscapes and wildlife. The first place I visited was Majete Game Reserve. It's a park to preserve the Malawian wildlife with 691 km2 completely fenced where you can make safari and see some animals like: elephant, rhino, buffalo, zebra, eland, hartebeest, kudu, waterbuck, impala, warthog, hippo, bufalo and monkeys. I did a safari for about 4 hours and I could see almost all these animals, only rhino I didn't see. The first elephant I saw was a little bite scary because I was outside the car looking for a elephant that had left a footprint and, suddenly, a big elephant appeared behind the car making a thunderous roar!

The footprint's owner

Majete Game Reserve

Majete Game Reserve

The second place I visited was Mount Mulanje. It is a mountain that has a maximum elevation of 3,002 m. I did a walk of 40 minutes until the waterfall. It's very beautiful and you can swim there.

Mount Mulanje is located in the middle of tea plantations


Mount Mulanje's waterfall

After Mulanje, I went to Liwonde National Park. It has an area of 580 km2 extending along the Shire River. The animals that we can find there are similar to the animals in Majete Game Reserve. I slept one night there and it was amazing to hear so many different sounds from wild animals. In this park I saw my most beautiful view from an African sunset.

Liwonde National Park

I did a boat safari on the Shire River and I could see a crocodile and many hippopotamus. Sometimes the hippos were very near to the boat.

Hippos in Shire River


Finally I visited the Lake Malawi. I stayed in a nice lodge in Salima called Safari Beach Lodge. The Lake Malawi is very similar to a sea. Its view is like a sea but the water is not so salty.

Lakes Malawi's beach near Salima


During my stay in Salima I went to Cape Maclear and Monkey Bay that are also at the Lake Malawi. In Monkey Bay I went to the most beautiful beach that I visited in Malawi. Its name is Venice Beach. The water is very clear and the sand is really white.

Venice Beach in Monkey Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment